A chilli chutney sandwich or a triple fried egg, chilli, chutney sandwich is a special type of sandwich created by Dave Lister. Jokingly, Lister was inspired by reading a book on bacterialogical warfare.
As the name suggests, it was a sandwich that contained three slices of white bread, three fried eggs, chili sauce and chutney. Eating it was described by Arnold Rimmer, who was drunk at the time of eating it, as like "having a baby" and "like a cross between food and bowel surgery". He described that, even though all its ingredients were wrong, somehow it made a right. He likened this fact to Lister's personality. Lister described the sandwich as "well naughty" but stated that the only trouble with it was that it had to be eaten before the bread dissolved.
This sandwich was hologrammatically recreated for Rimmer by Holly in "Thanks for the Memory". Lister described it as a "state of the art sarnie", however Holly was more concerned about "the state of the floor". Rimmer remembered eating the sandwich the next morning, but dismissed it as not the worst thing that had happened that evening. ("Thanks for the Memory", Series II)
- Some diehard fans of Red Dwarf have actually tried creating this sandwich in real life; many suggest it is actually supposed to be a triple-decker sandwich (a sandwich using three slices of bread) rather than or in addition to containing three eggs, as apparently a third slice of bread can be seen in the sandwich Rimmer eats on-screen. The general reaction is that it's actually quite tasty, though the best kind of chutney to use is a spicy-sweet flavor (mango is typically suggested).
- Article on Urban Dictionary
- Discussion on the sandwich on Feasty Geeks
- Discussion on the sandwich on The Register
- Discussion on the sandwich on All Recipes
- Discussion on the sandwich on Knuckle Salad