A time line of important events in Red Dwarf history.
- 1983: the first draft of "The End" was written.
- 1987: Series I is filmed.
- 1988: Series I & Series II
- 1989: Series III & Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers
- 1990: Better Than Life
- 1991: Series IV
- 1992: Series V
- 1993: Series VI
- 1994: "Gunmen of the Apocalypse" wins an Emmy award.
- 1995: Last Human
- 1996: Backwards
- 1997: Series VII
- 1998: "Red Dwarf Night" specials and Red Dwarf Remastered; Series VIII is filmed.
- 1999: Series VIII
- 2000: TBD
- 2001: first storyboarding and read throughs for Red Dwarf: The Movie.
- 2002: Red Dwarf the Roleplaying Game & Red Dwarf I DVD Release
- 2003: Red Dwarf II & III DVD Release
- 2004: Red Dwarf IV & V DVD Release
- 2005: Prelude to Nanarchy, Red Dwarf: The Movie was supposed to be filmed, Red Dwarf VI & VII DVD Release.
- 2006: the Red Dwarf wiki, Tongue Tied is founded, and Red Dwarf VIII DVD Release.
- 2007: The Bodysnatcher Collection DVD release and Red Christmas mobisode.
- 2008: Negotiations for a new Red Dwarf television production began, Robert Llewellyn announces new Dwarf in August.
- 2009: Back to Earth aired and released on DVD & Blu-Ray; later stated to stand in for Series IX.
- 2010: Rumours abound of a new series being planned.
- 2011: After much anticipation, Series X is announced and is set to be filmed in late 2011 early 2012.
- 2012: Series X is aired in the fall and released to DVD and Blu-Ray.
- 2016: Series XI is aired and released on DVD and Blu-Ray.
- 2017: Series XII is aired and released on DVD and Blu-Ray.